Whamisa has been awarded EWG Verified™ status as of December, 2016!
What is EWG
The Environmental Working Group's mission is to empower people to live healthier lives in a healthier environment. They are a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to protecting human health and the environment.
EWG has a long history of producing cutting-edge research to empower people to make informed choices when they purchase products. EWG's research on the health hazards of food and personal care products helps people understand better choices.
* EWG's website : http://www.ewg.org
What is EWG Verified™
EWG's Skin Deep® rates products based on ingredients, an important indication to help determine the potential health concerns associated with products. EWG Verified™ takes the Skin Deep® rating system one step further – by also asking companies to submit significantly more detailed information to help confirm that companies are (1) making full disclosure to their consumers, that (2) their products are adequately preserved and free of contaminants, and that (3) manufacturing processes meet EWG's rigorous criteria.
Before a company is allowed to use the EWG VERIFIED™ mark, it must meet all criteria and provide additional information not found on the label – an effort to drive the market toward greater transparency.
* Whamisa on EWG's Skin Deep® database : http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=whamisa&h=Search
EWG's criteria for awarding EWG Verified™ status
EWG's criteria are based on a variety of health standards:
- Products must score a "green" in EWG's Skin Deep® database.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Unacceptable" list, meaning ingredients with health, ecotoxicity and/or contamination concerns.
- Products cannot contain any ingredients on EWG's "Restricted" list, which do not meet the restriction set by authoritative bodies and industry institutions.
- Products must follow standard ingredient naming guidelines.
- Products must fully disclose all ingredients on the label, including ingredients used in fragrance.
- Product manufacturers must develop and follow current good manufacturing practices.
- Products must follow the European Union's requirements for labeling fragrance allergens.
- Products must follow the European Union's labeling guidelines for nanomaterials used in cosmetics.
- Product labels must indicate an expiration date or a "period of time after opening."
Companies with products bearing the EWG VERIFIED™ mark must:
- Commit to submitting all reports of product problems or serious adverse events to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and to EWG.
- Agree that EWG has the right to perform random product testing to ensure that all products meet the provisions outlined in EWG's Criteria.
- Understand that EWG's Skin Deep® is dynamic and that the scoring system may change. They must understand that EWG's "Unacceptable" and "Restricted" lists will be reviewed annually and updated as needed, with a phase-in period to allow companies to comply with updates to maintain usage of the EWG VERIFIED™ mark.